The Ökonauten eG is a consumer-farmer co-operative, located in the Region Berlin-Brandenburg. The overall aim is to strengthen the regional food supply market. In detail there are following aims:
– Protect land for a sustainable land use
– Avoid land speculation.
– Preserve and promote small structural organic agriculture,
– Support especially young and beginning farmers
– Strengthen the local and small businesses which concentrated on food processing
The co-operative has 3 main activities:
1. With the deposits of the members, the co-operative is financing farm land, which is lend under social conditions to farmers. In return the farmer is providing food for the members and the local food market. Also, there are all sorts of social events on the farmland, like harvest celebration.
2. Together with partners the co-operative will organize and operate the logistic for the farmers. It is one of the biggest challenges for small famers. An important part here is also the development of a diverse value chain in the region. So more people can finance their lives from farming or food processing. So the profit can stay in the region.
3. Cooperate with other organizations to raise awareness about the challenges for young farmers and healthy food.
The co-operative started in the year 2015. The first farm project the co-operative realized is an organic walnut farm north of Berlin. This long-term project stands for our principles of a sustainable and social integrated farming culture. New farming cooperation are planned and get started soon.