This association was founded by the Ile de France Community-supported agriculture network, out of the analysis that the greater Paris area was lacking organic vegetable production. In the area, it is indeed particularly difficult to start organic vegetable growing due to high land prices, competition for land, difficulties of farm transfer.
The aim of Les Champs des possibles aim is to promote the entry into organic farming in the region, via the management of an incubator farm, a range of training courses and support to the establishment of new farmers.
The incubator farm was established in 2009 on a first site for farm experimentation of 2 hectares, located on a farm (73 ha in total) bought by Terre de liens. Future farmers come for 1 to 3 years and are provided with:
• production means (land, equipment..)
• a legal status (business number, social welfare)
• personal support to develop their cultivation practices, their business plan and accountancy, their life project
• connections with customers (CSA groups, organic supermarkets..)
• insertion in the local professional sector (organic farming association, SAFER, etc.)
• support to prepare their own establishment (looking for land, business plan, etc.), until after the experimentation period.
Les Champs des possibles benefits from a strong network of local organisations: CSA network, organic farming association, Terre de liens, local agricultural college, association of training organisations), which are together united in the Pôle Abiosol. It is also part of the RENETA network of French farm incubators.